15 Apr 2014
I read an interesting article over the weekend titled The era of the (digital) omnivore is upon us. The author defines a digital omnivore as a person comfortable with consumer technology, these are the growing population of consumers who own a laptop, a smartphone, and a tablet.
In the US, this population is growing rapidly — from 10 per cent in 2011 to 37 per cent in 2013 according to Deloitte’s Digital Democracy survey.
Moreover digital omnivores are people who:
1. Own multiple devices.
2. Early adopters of technology.
3. Want to bring their devices to the enterprise
4. Want their enterprise software to behave like their consumer software — fast loading, well designed and on all their devices.
5. They shuttle between the phone, laptop and tablet.
6. Check their social profiles daily and multiple times.
7. Don’t hesitate to express their concern about a brand on their social networks.
If you are building a web service I highly recommend that you do not ignore the digital omnivores. Not only are they comfortable being early adopters but its here where word of mouth online generally starts.